Head Injury or Traumatic Brain Damanage
Head Injury or Traumatic Brain occurs to the skull, scalp, due to the external technical force causing brain dysfunction. Head injury usually occurs due to violent pressure on the head of the body causing the damage to the skull. The disease may range from mild bump to traumatic brain injury which includes concussion, skull fractures, and Scalp wounds.
Head injury may be open or closed, may be internal and external. Treatment and consequences will vary according to the severity of the disease. It may temporary effects on the brain cells causing bleeding, torn tissues and physical complications leading to death sometimes. All Head injuries are not supposed to bleed. Some minor injuries may bleed where some major may not bleed at all. The injury cannot be measured by just looking at the head or skull, some diagnostics tests are required to measure the exact disease.
Sometime patients may not be aware of the accident how the injury occurs. The doctor may advise the patient to come with the witness so that doctor can determine the severity of the head injury and how long it will take to get recovered.
Symptoms of the head injury:-
It is not easy to measure the signs and symptoms of Head Injury or Traumatic Brain if not visible. But it is always recommended to consult the neurologist/neurosurgeon in Gurgaon if you find any of the symptoms given below:-
In case of Mild Head injury or Traumatic Brain:-
- Physical Symptoms such as stage of being dazed or confused, loss of consciousness, nausea, vomiting, headache, sleeping problems, fatigue, loss of balance etc.
- Sensory symptoms such as ringing sound in the ear, blurred vision, change of taste in mouth, smelling problems, sensitivity to the light or sound.
- Cognitive Symptoms are also called Mental signs which includes memory loss, concentration problem, depression, anxiety, mood swings etc.
In case of Moderate to severe Head injury or Traumatic Brain:-
- Physical Symptoms includes loss of consciousness for long hours, frequent & persistent headache, repeated coming or nausea, convulsions, dilation of the one or both pupils of eyes, fluids from eyes & ears, inability to awaken from sleep, finger & toes numbness, lack of coordination etc.
- Cognitive or mental symptoms include profound confusion, slurred speech, agitation, coma and other consciousness disorders.
In Case of Children:-
Even Children and infant may have the head injury and they may also experience the headaches, sensory problems, confusion etc. they may also have the other symptoms which are:-
- Unable to get the food or milk properly
- The sense of crying regularly
- Unusual irritability
- Lack of concentration
- Usability to pay attention
- depression and mood swings
- Improper sleeping habits
- Not Having the interest of playing with toys or games
- You should see a pediatrician/ Pediatric Neurosurgeon
Causes of Head Injury or Traumatic Brain:-
There can be various reasons responsible for the head injury or traumatic brain which are listed below:-
- Severe Blow or Jolt may damage the multiple points of Skull
- Damage to brain cells
- Severe rotational or spinning jolt causing tearing of cellular structures.
- Blast from the explosive device
- An object penetrating the skull causing damage to brain cells, blood vessels, protective tissues
- A blood clot, severe bleeding, and swelling may stop the oxygen supply and may cause brain damage.
- Falling or slipping from the bed, ladders, the bathroom may cause brain injury in young children and older adults.
- Accident or Collisions with motorcycles, cars etc.
- Domestic Violence, street fights, child abuse, gunshot wounds etc
- Sports injury through soccer, boxing, footballs, hockey, baseball, lacrosse, skateboarding etc. heavy games.
- Explosive blasts in the war may disrupt the brain function of military professionals.
Risk Factors of the Head Injury or Traumatic Brain:-
Newborns to 4 years of children, young adults especially having the age between 15-24 and adults having the age of more than 75.
People having he mind traumatic brain may not require any treatments. They can be relieved through the painkillers, although they require huge care under the guidance of the experts to treat the problem. The doctor may ask to avoid the physical and cognitive activities which bring adverse effect to the brain. To treat the extreme head injury cases:-
- An emergency care is required by ensuring an adequate supply of oxygen, blood pressure and preventing the head or neck injury. Additional emergency injuries can be treated while looking at the severity or inflammation causing secondary damage.
- Some medications such as Diuretics, anti-seizure drugs, coma-inducing drugs are given to treat the various brain problems ad complications raised thereof. These drugs help to control the blood vessels by facilitating the adequate blood and oxygen supply.
- Surgeries may be perfumed while looking at the actual disease or problems. Removing Clotted Blood (hematomas), Repairing Skull Fractures, Opening a new Window in the skull may be required to repay the bleeding and damaged tissues of the brain.
- Rehabilitation or therapies may be given by the specialist doctors including a psychiatrist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, neuropsychologist, case manager, Bain specialist after analyzing the exact brain problems and causes thereof.
Choosing the right Treatment for the Head Injury or Traumatic Brain Damage will entirely depend on the expertise of the Doctor so better to take the appointment with the Best Neuro-Surgeon in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR, INDIA